The first and biggest decision that needs to be made is who will care for your pets while you are away. Many pets, especially cats, do not deal well with change and a disruption in their environment and routine may cause anxiety or depression. Professional petsitters are a wonderful choice for pet care since they provide individualized care, tailored to specific needs, in the familiar surroundings of your home. Schedule of care could include multiple visits per day or overnight stays.
If your pet suffers from separation anxiety, is young (under 1 year) or very active, leaving them alone for long stretches of time may be a safety issue. Cats, although usually very independent, need supervision and companionship, daily visits are important to keep them safe and happy. Dogs and cats who are anxious, or very high energy, could become destructive when left alone, The playfulness, energy, and curiosity of puppies and kittens makes it unsafe for them to be left without supervision.
Plan the details of your pets stay-cation early to avoid missing any important details. To begin:
- Interview petsitters and check references to find the perfect match for you and your pet.
- Meet with the chosen petsitter in advance of your trip's departure date so they can become familiar with your pets and allow them to feel comfortable in your absence.
- Work with your petsitter to determine the number of visits a day would be best for your pets or if overnight stays are necessary.
Once the plans are made there is nothing else to think about until your departure date arrives. At that time gather together everything your petsitter will need to care for your pet. Including:
- Ample supply of their usual food to last the duration of your trip
- Their favorite treats
- Medications (if necessary)
- Name and phone number of veterinarian
- Your emergency contact information
Then it is time to go and enjoy a relaxing vacation! Your pets and your home will be safe and well cared for. Upon your return you will be greeted with happy pets who, like you, have enjoyed a wonderful vacation.